Planning a menu for John and I is easy. We aren’t picky eaters in most areas. John has a fairly plain palate when it comes to breakfast – for instance, no veggie omelets. However, I’m becoming increasingly worried about how my girls will fair with these adjustments. I know it’s going to take some major trial and error. Deladis will be an especially hard one to please. Breakfast being more grain heavy will be hard for her. She so loves her morning over easy eggs. I hope she will eat what we have before she lets herself get too hungry and I have to feed her cheap food from the standard American diet just to get her to eat.
Menu for the week of May 4th – 10th: (This menu was planned based on my Sat. shopping trip and what I already had on hand.)
- Breakfast – Banana Bread/Sausage (Using very ripe bananas left over from last month’s budget. The goal is no waste.)
- Lunch – Nuts/Cheese… Chicken Nuggets/Carrots for Deladis (I am buying some non-traditional foods for Deladis as she has become very picky since her stay in the hospital in February. She has a short list of what she will eat consistently. This bothers me and I want to improve her diet so much.)
- Dinner – Pork Chops/ Fried Potatoes and Onions/ Appalachian Soupbeans (Pinto)/ Cornbread
- Special Preparations – Make chicken bone broth.
- Breakfast – Leftover Banana Bread/Sausage
- Lunch – Leftover Soupbeans/Cornbread… Leftover Pork Chops or Bologna/ Corn for Deladis
- Dinner – Roast Chicken w/ Potatoes, Carrots, Celery/Peas
- Special Preparations – soak kidney beans for baked beans
- Breakfast – Eggs/Bacon/Yogurt… Oranges for Deladis (she’s dairy allergic)
- Lunch – Chicken Salad (leftover chicken on baby greens)… Chili Mac or Spaghetti for Deladis
- Dinner – Split Pea Patties/Cauliflower Rice/Baked Beans
- Special Preparations – soak oats, soak black beans
- Breakfast – Oatmeal/Sausage/Banana and Raisins
- Lunch – Leftovers or Nuts/Cheese… Noodles w/ Earth Balance Margarine for Deladis
- Dinner – Black Bean Soup/Cornbread
- Special Preparations – soak whole wheat flour for pancakes, soak rice
- Breakfast – Pancakes/Sausage/ Yogurt and Maple Syrup
- Lunch/Dinner – Leftover Soup… John has an art opening that evening so we are combining this meal. Eat good.
- Special Preparations – thaw salmon
- Breakfast – Rice Pudding/Sausage
- Lunch/Dinner – Leftovers and Finger Foods (We’ll be spending the day out and about mostly.)
- Breakfast – Eggs/Sausage/Banana or Pineapples
- Lunch/Dinner – Salmon Fillets/Fried Sweet Potatoes/Salad (We eat dinner after church so the rest of the day will be snacks.)
My main concern is the grains. It certainly is after reading this on Nourished Kitchen, but I don’t see any way around it right now. I’m debating on what is a more crucial choice to make about our egg situation – keep the current menu style or switch to purchasing conventional eggs so we can cut back on the grains for breakfast. What is the lesser evil? And poor Deladis… I so hope we get our chickens soon.
If anyone sees anything I’m missing, or has any suggestions on how to feed Deladis better foods, or our overall dietary health as a family, please feel free to comment. I appreciate advice.